Wednesday

EARRING TUTORIAL; Filigree and Flowers

I went to my local bead store the other day and picked up these awesome gold filigree findings. When I got home I started experimenting with beads when I remembered I had these cabs and thought they would be a perfect fit.



+ pliers, wire cutters, and headpins

A quick shout out to Lisa. All those beautiful sparkly beads in the left bottom corner came from her in our bead swap. Super generous, I was really happy to see them included because I have never really worked with them and it was a great sampling. Everyone should check her out. Her pieces are timeless and of really great quality. Plus, she makes beauty products that have gotten great reviews.

On to the tutorial!







+ headpins. I didn't realize I had forgotten the headpins for this photograph until a lot later into  the tutorial.


First, use your favorite glue to attach the cab to the middle of the filigree stamp. I'm using E-6000.



(Here are the headpins, lol)


Set it aside to dry.




Next, slide your bead unto the headpin and make your loop. Learn how to make the loop here. Don't close them.






Set them aside.



Next, take the lace and tie it into a know. If you can make a real bow, you can totally do that instead. I'm a terrible bow maker and I do it this way, haha.






Slide the knot of the bow unto your earring hook.




It will look like this. I used to tie the knot ON the hook, but it usually came out crooked. (I don't know if that was from my bad bow skills though...)




Now take your dry main piece and hang it from the hook, behind the lace.







Almost done!




Then take your bead and hang it off the bottom. Don't forget to close your loop!





Snip the excess lace.





Now you're done! Pretty easy, right?




These earrings are really customizable.

You can;


  • Use ribbon instead of lace
  • Hang more than one bead on the bottom
  • Different beads and color combos!
  • Studs instead of hooks



Thank you for viewing!

- A


PS. If any fellow crafters are out there, I would love to participate in more bead swaps!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It took me forever to make the first pair... Initially I had five charms dangling and it looked odd so I took them off, then I added chain and that looked even MORE odd, so now were back to simply one, lol. Thank you for your support!

      Delete
  2. Love this look! Nice to see you using your cabs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I know right? I was trying to brainstorm ways of using the cabs OTHER than making plain studs... I'm running out of ideas haha. Again, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Ooh! Bead swapping!

    <33 Rena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also totally ready for another swap if you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore these earrings - they're at once delicate and sweet, yet also so timelessly elegant and substantially beautiful. Wonderful creation, thank you very much for sharing this how-to with us.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. They are so cute!! I love your flower cabs! You can also make rings or glue them on paper clips! They would look adorable!! Can't wait to see your next creation!Good crafting!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...