Monday

Perler Bow Pins

Hey everyone! Long time no blog. I have tons of earrings I need to photograph and blog about, but here is something a little bit different.

I went to Anime Mid-Atlantic, a small anime convention around early summer and saw different artists selling bows made of perler beads. I fell in love with them! I decided to go home and make my own designs. This is not at all original, haha.

This is probably considered a little juvenile, but I think they're adorable and great for little girl crafts.





Perler Beads Tips:
  • Buy more black/white. You'll use them the most because they are the more common 'outline' color.
  • I swear what takes the most time is picking out the colors if you bought a mixed bucket (like me). If I could do it over, I would buy the colors separated.
  • (I bought two mixed buckets, the Sunny Days mix and the 11,000 beads one.)
  • But, then again, the buckets are great deals at Michaels, especially if you use a 40% off coupon. I would weigh the different costs, monetary vs time. Or, you can employ a younger sibling to help separate...
  • Seriously, separating takes forever.
  • Iron on a flat surface.
  • Bead tweezers are your friend.






I would start off by separating your colors. I'm using tan and teal.




I first created the middle. Then I created one side, then mirrored the pattern on the other.




Please be careful with your iron! Don't be like me, have it pointed away from you and on a good surface.




When you're finished with your design, place your sheet of paper in between the iron and the beads. 

  •  The ones that come with the bead buckets usually come folded. I would discard those because they leave lines in your work. I spent the extra dollars to buy separate sheets, they're reusable and big enough for my work.
  • Use nice and steady circular motions. You'll see when the beads start melting and sticking together.
  • Be careful when you're finished, it will be hot.


Flip it over. If you want to use this on a headband, you can keep it with only ONE side being melted, because that way it remains curved. Since I'm making pins, I'm going to iron the other side too.




Iron the other side. It will become stiff.




Now to make them into pins. I only have bobby pins on me, but I would use alligator clips or larger hair accessories.




Generous dollop of your favorite glue.




Wait for it to dry, and then tada! Finished.



This is an example of when the holes are pretty much melted away:


And here is an example when the holes are still really big.



I think I prefer when the 'no-holes' better, but don't be afraid to experiment.

Thanks for reading!


8 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Way better than the dolphin and smiley face ornaments I used to make with those beads : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a lot of these before, now I finally know how they keep them together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful when you iron on your pearler board, they like to warp. If you put masking tape on the back of the beads you can transfer them off and iron them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I love these! So cute! Almost like that 8-bit bow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally 8-bit! Love the idea and your tutorial is very well done!!
    xo, Lici

    ReplyDelete
  6. just a side note...no special paper is needed. Regular parchment paper (not wax!) used for baking is essentially the same thing, and a lot cheaper in the long run. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...